Friday, February 25, 2011

Our 2 day detour

Driving home from Phoenix last month, Alan and I were happily coasting back to Thatcher. I, of course, was sleeping on his shoulder when I felt the car start slowly winding down. Alan's face told me all I needed to know. We then pulled off to the side of the road (our only option) at 11p.m. on the Bylas Indian Reservation! AH!...that is what I was thinking. So we locked the doors and prayed for some kind of miracle that would save us from the Indian res. that late at night with a broken down truck.

Alan turned the car back on, and in fact we did witness a miracle! Although the car was not working, we had just enough momentum to coast into a Bashas' parking lot where we could ask for some help! ..much better than being stuck on the side of the road!

We got towed back to Globe (the cheapest option) which was only a few miles away. We did not have any friends, relatives, or even acquaintances there so we stayed the night in a hotel and hoped for the best in the morning.

We spent the next day walking from auto part shops back to the hotel in effort to repair the truck. However, no matter what we (Alan) did the truck would not fix.

I felt so hopeless! We had spent so much time and effort and nothing would get even close! Plus we were both so stressed about getting back for school.

Helpless, and with no other ideas, we realized that it was time to pray again and again. I remembered something my dad has always repeated: "sometimes you have to bug Heavenly Father and get after Him so He will see you really want it." So we did=).

Another miracle...or several occurred! Alan called his band teacher to tell him he would not be in class. Instead of being frustrated, his band teacher/distant cousin offered all the help he could! He apparently had many friends in Globe and immediately called for their help.

By the time we knew it we had a mechanic diagnose our truck and offer to fix it for a more than reasonable price, a man and his wife offer to make us dinner, shelter us, and then offer us their car until ours would be repaired! We could not believe that these people who did not even know us would offer such help to us!

It is amazing how the Lord works in mysterious ways. These people were not Mormons, but truly know what it means to be a Christian. My testimony of service and lifting others burdens has been strengthened. I have also learned that no matter where you are, the Lord is there to help if we just ask.
And lastly, I have learned the importance of paying full and honest tithe and a generous fast offering. I am so grateful that we were doing so at the time so we could receive those blessings.

I am also thankful for my wonderful husband who lead us to help and who tried his best to fix our truck. He is the love of my life=).

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I like the blog. If you are ever in Globe, and in need of help/friends you should give me a call (same number as when I was in Women's Chorale). Zach and I are currently living and working here in Globe...

    ReplyDelete